This slow cooker beef stew with red wine and potatoes is a delicious warming casserole for winter nights your whole family will love. What I love about slow cookers is you can save your money and use a cheap cut of meat and it will still be melt-in-your-mouth tender.
The potatoes will soak up the juices as they gently soften. Tip: Don’t cut them too small otherwise they might be too mushy by the end of the cooking time. I find the bigger the better.
My slow cooker is quite small, it was full to the brim when I turned it on for this recipe! If you have a bigger cooker you could add some extra vegetables like some carrots or swede.
If you are not ready to eat your delicious meal at the end of the cooking time make sure you keep it warm safely.
Don’t have any time? Try this dump and go crockpot beef brisket stew recipe.
I sometimes use affiliate links. When you click these links and make a purchase, I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything but it helps me to run this site.
- 50g butter
- 50ml cooking oil
- 2 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 -4 medium-sized potatoes peeled and quartered.
- 175g streaky bacon
- 1 1/2 kg braising steak cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 300ml red wine
- 300ml water
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and bacon and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and fry for 10 minutes
- Stir in the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the wine and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the tomato puree, bouquet garni and seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes (making sure they are under the sauce)
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2584Total Fat: 179gSaturated Fat: 63gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 103gCholesterol: 592mgSodium: 5921mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 183g
The nutritional values in this recipe are an estimate.