Today, I am going to show you how you can use Tang, a popular powdered drink mix, to clean your dishwasher and remove any buildup or gunk that may be lurking inside.
Not only is Tang an affordable and convenient solution, but it also contains citric acid, a natural cleaner that can help dissolve mineral deposits and other stains inside a dishwasher.
Here's a quick summary:
Tang is an affordable and effective way to clean your dishwasher, removing buildup and leaving it sparkling clean. Simply add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Tang powder to the soap dispenser and run a hot cycle.
Watch this short video below for more details:
I sometimes use affiliate links. When you click these links and make a purchase, I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything but it helps me to run this site.
What is Tang?
Tang is a powdered drink mix that has been around since the 1950s.
It was originally developed as a breakfast drink for astronauts and quickly gained popularity as a refreshing and tasty drink for people of all ages.
Tang is known for its tangy and sweet flavor and is made from a variety of ingredients, including sugar, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, and coloring.
While Tang is most commonly used as a beverage, its citric acid content also makes it a useful cleaning agent for dishwashers and other household appliances.
Can I use Tang to clean my dishwasher?
Yes, you can use Tang to clean your dishwasher!
Tang's citric acid content makes it an effective cleaning agent that can help remove mineral buildup, gunk, and grease from your dishwasher's interior.
While there are other cleaning methods you can use, such as vinegar, citric acid or lemon Kool-Aid, Tang is a great option if you're looking for a quick and easy way to keep your dishwasher clean and odor-free.
What is in Tang that helps it to clean dishwashers?
Tang contains citric acid, a natural cleaning agent that can help dissolve mineral deposits, food residue, and other stains in your dishwasher.
Citric acid is a weak organic acid that is commonly found in citrus fruits, such as lemons and limes.
In addition to its cleaning properties, citric acid can also help neutralize odors and prevent the buildup of limescale in your dishwasher.
When combined with hot water and run through a cleaning cycle, Tang's citric acid can effectively remove gunk and grease from your dishwasher's interior and spray arms, leaving your appliance fresh and clean.
How much Tang do you use to clean a dishwasher?
The amount of Tang you should use to clean your dishwasher depends on the size of your appliance and the severity of the buildup you're trying to remove.
As a general rule, you'll want to use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Tang for a standard-sized dishwasher.
If you have a larger dishwasher or notice heavy buildup, you can increase the amount of Tang accordingly.
How to clean a dishwasher with Tang
- Empty your dishwasher. Remove dishes, cutlery and utensils. You can keep the racks and the cutlery basket inside.
- Add Tang to your dishwasher. Measure out 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Tang powder and add as much as you can to the soap dispenser. Sprinkle the rest over the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Run a hot water cycle. Set your dishwasher to the hottest water setting and run a full cycle. This will allow the Tang to dissolve and distribute throughout your dishwasher, helping to break down any mineral buildup or grease.
- Wipe down the interior. Use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe down the interior of your dishwasher, paying close attention to areas with heavy buildup or stains.
To keep your dishwasher clean and fresh, it's a good idea to run regular cleaning cycles using Tang or other cleaning solutions.
Other cleaning methods for dishwashers
While Tang is a great solution for cleaning dishwashers, there are other methods you can use to keep your appliance clean and fresh.
Here are some more options:
- Vinegar and baking soda. Put a cup of vinegar on the top rack and run a hot cycle. Then sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher and run a second cycle.
- Citric acid. Add some citric acid to the soap dispenser and run a hot cycle.
- Lemon Kool-Aid. Add some lemon Kool-Aid to the soap dispenser and run a hot cycle.
- Commercial cleaning tablets. You can also use commercial cleaning tablets designed specifically for dishwashers to help remove buildup and odors. Simply follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.
Tips and tricks for dishwasher maintenance
Proper maintenance is key to keeping your dishwasher running smoothly and ensuring that it continues to provide optimal cleaning performance.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you maintain your dishwasher:
- Scrape off excess food. Before loading your dishes into the dishwasher, be sure to scrape off any excess food or debris. This will help prevent clogs and ensure that your dishwasher operates at its best.
- Rinse dishes. While some dishwashers are capable of handling dishes with food residue, it's always a good idea to rinse dishes beforehand. This can help prevent buildup and keep your dishwasher running efficiently.
- Run hot water. Before starting your dishwasher, run hot water from the sink for a few minutes. This helps ensure that your dishwasher starts with hot water, which can improve cleaning performance. This only works if your dishwasher has a hot water inlet.
- Clean the spray arms. Over time, the spray arms in your dishwasher can become clogged with food debris and other buildup. Regularly remove and clean the spray arms to help ensure optimal cleaning performance.
- Check the filters. Most dishwashers have filters that trap food debris and other particles. Be sure to regularly remove and clean these filters to prevent clogs and ensure that your dishwasher runs efficiently.
- Run a regular cleaning cycle. Once per month, run a maintenance wash.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use Tang to clean a dishwasher that has a stainless-steel interior?
Yes, Tang can be used to clean dishwashers with stainless-steel interiors.
However, be sure to avoid leaving the solution on the surface for an extended period of time and rinse the dishwasher thoroughly after cleaning.
Is Tang safe to use in my dishwasher?
Yes, Tang is safe to use in your dishwasher as long as you follow the instructions carefully and rinse the dishwasher thoroughly after cleaning.
Can I use other citrus powders instead of Tang to clean my dishwasher?
Yes, other citrus powders such as lemon Kool-Aid or citric acid can also be used to clean dishwashers.
How often should I clean my dishwasher with Tang?
It's recommended to clean your dishwasher with Tang or another cleaning solution at least once every three months, or more frequently if you notice any buildup or odors.
Can I use Tang with other cleaning products?
It's not recommended to use Tang in combination with other cleaning products, as this can create harmful chemical reactions. Stick to using Tang on its own for the best results.