A dishwasher can save you lots of time and energy. But, with regular use, it can start to get a little grubby and even develop an unpleasant odor.
Hard water stains, leftover food particles, and other gunk can accumulate over time, which can make your dishwasher less effective at getting your dishes clean.
Luckily, there are several ways to keep your dishwasher clean and fresh, including using natural solutions such as lemonade Kool-Aid drink.
So, if you're tired of a dirty and smelly dishwasher, here is the answer in a nutshell.
To clean a dishwasher with lemon Kool-Aid, simply add it to the dishwasher's detergent tray and run a hot water cycle.
Or check out this short video:
The type of Kool-Aid you use is crucial. Read on for more details.
I sometimes use affiliate links. When you click these links and make a purchase, I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything but it helps me to run this site.
Can Kool-Aid really be used to clean a dishwasher?
Yes, Kool-Aid isn't just a tasty drink. It can be used to clean your dishwasher too!
Let's have a look at why:
- It contains citric acid. The citric acid found in Kool-Aid acts as an effective and natural cleaning agent that can break down tough stains, food debris, and mineral deposits inside your machine.
- It's safe to use. The citric acid in Kool-Aid is a safe and natural alternative to harsh chemicals that can harm your dishwasher and the environment.
- It's economical. Kool-Aid is an affordable and readily available product that you may already have in your kitchen pantry. It's a great alternative to expensive dishwasher cleaning solutions that may contain harmful chemicals.
What kind of Kool-Aid to use?
While Kool-Aid can be an effective and natural way to clean your dishwasher, not all types of Kool-Aid are suitable for this purpose.
Only the unsweetened lemonade kind of Kool-Aid should be used to clean your dishwasher.
Sweetened Kool-Aid or other fruit-flavored varieties could leave a sticky residue in your dishwasher, making it even more difficult to clean.
How to clean your dishwasher with lemon Kool-Aid
Cleaning your dishwasher with lemon Kool-Aid is a straightforward process that can be done in a few simple steps.
Here's how to clean your dishwasher with lemon Kool-Aid:
- Empty the dishwasher. Make sure your dishwasher is empty of any dishes before you start the cleaning process.
- Add Kool-Aid to the soap dispenser. Open a packet of unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid and pour it into the soap dispenser of your dishwasher.
- Run the dishwasher on a hot wash. Close the dishwasher and set it to run on the hottest wash cycle available.
- Wipe the inside of the dishwasher. Once the cycle is complete, open the dishwasher and use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe the inside of the dishwasher. Pay extra attention to any brown stains or hard water buildup.
- Rinse and repeat. If you still notice any stains or buildup in your dishwasher, repeat the process until your dishwasher is clean and fresh.
Repeat the process once every one or two months depending on usage to keep your dishwasher clean going forward.
Read this next:
Does Kool-Aid remove hard water stains?
Yes, the citric acid found in Kool-Aid is a powerful natural cleaning agent that can help break down and remove mineral deposits caused by hard water.
You can also prevent hard water stains from forming by adding some distilled white vinegar to every wash. Simply add a cup of vinegar to the top rack and run your cycle as normal.
Hard water stains can be difficult to remove completely, especially if they have been allowed to build up over time. But, with regular maintenance and cleaning, you can keep your dishwasher looking clean and functioning at its best.
Frequently asked questions
Is Kool-Aid a safe alternative to traditional dishwasher cleaners?
Yes, Kool-Aid is a safe and natural alternative to traditional dishwasher cleaners.
The citric acid in Kool-Aid is a powerful cleaning agent that can effectively remove buildup and stains without the use of harsh chemicals that can damage your dishwasher and harm the environment.
Can I use any flavor of Kool-Aid to clean my dishwasher?
No, only unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid is suitable for cleaning your dishwasher.
Other flavors may contain sugar or artificial dyes that can damage your dishwasher or leave residue on your dishes.
How often should I clean my dishwasher with Kool-Aid?
It's a good idea to clean your dishwasher with Kool-Aid at least every one or two months to prevent buildup and keep it functioning properly.
If you have hard water or notice stains or buildup, you may need to clean your dishwasher more frequently.
Can Kool-Aid remove rust stains from my dishwasher?
Kool-aid can help with removing rust stains.
For tough rust stains, it's best to use a specialized rust remover or consult a professional for advice.
Will cleaning my dishwasher with Kool-Aid leave a citrus scent?
After the running a dishwasher cycle with lemon Kool-Aid, you may notice citrus scent. But the scent may not be strong or long-lasting.