So, I was just thinking about how tired I am of using chemical-filled air fresheners that only hide bad smells instead of actually getting rid of them.
If you are familiar with this blog, you will know how keen I am on natural alternatives. So in this post I've got some great DIY natural solutions. They're super easy to make, and the best bit is they are cheap too.
Using all-natural ingredients like essential oils, herbs, and fruits, you can whip up multiple different air fresheners that freshen up your home and give you some therapeutic benefits too.
We've got sprays, diffusers, simmer pots, and gel air fresheners – something for everyone!
So let's dive in and explore some fantastic DIY natural air freshener recipes that'll make your home smell amazing without using any harmful chemicals.
I sometimes use affiliate links. When you click these links and make a purchase, I may get a small commission. It won’t cost you anything but it helps me to run this site.
Why I love natural air fresheners
When I want my home to smell lovely and fresh, air fresheners seem like the perfect answer.
According to madesafe.org, most store-bought air fresheners are full of harmful chemicals that can be bad for our health and the environment.
Plant-based ingredients that are safe for you, your family, and your furry friends. They don't have any synthetic fragrances, phthalates, or other harmful chemicals that can cause respiratory problems, headaches, or allergies.
Here's why I think natural air fresheners rock:
- They're eco-friendly and biodegradable, so they don't hurt the environment like commercial air fresheners do.
- They're cost-effective and easy to make at home with simple ingredients like essential oils, vinegar, and baking soda.
- They offer a variety of health benefits, like reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and improving mood.
- You can customize them to your heart's content – whether you want a floral, citrus, or woody scent.
So, are you ready to give natural air fresheners a try? Let's go!
Essential oils for air freshening
Essential oils are super popular and a fantastic natural alternative to synthetic air fresheners.
They come from plants and have all sorts of great properties, like being antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.
You can use essential oils in multiple different ways to make your home smell amazing, like in room sprays, diffusers, and potpourri.
Check out some of my favorite essential oils for air freshening:
|Lavender||Antibacterial, calming||Floral, herbaceous|
|Peppermint||Antibacterial, invigorating||Minty, fresh|
|Lemon||Antibacterial, uplifting||Citrus, fresh|
|Tea Tree||Antibacterial, antifungal||Medicinal, fresh|
|Eucalyptus||Antibacterial, decongestant||Minty, fresh|
When using essential oils for air freshening, make sure to dilute them properly to avoid any skin irritation or other issues.
A good rule of thumb is to use 10–20 drops of essential oil per 1 cup (0.24 l) of water or carrier oil.
You can also experiment with different combos of essential oils to create your own unique fragrance.
Just remember, don't ingest essential oils or put them directly on your skin without proper dilution.
Always follow the instructions on the label and check with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.
DIY air freshener recipes
If you're ready to freshen up your home with natural ingredients, I've got some super easy DIY air freshener recipes for you to try.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Essential Oil Spray. This is probably the simplest DIY air freshener recipe out there. Just mix a few drops of your favorite essential oils with water in a spray bottle and spritz it around your home. You can use any essential oils you like, but some popular choices include lavender, lemon, peppermint, and eucalyptus.
- Baking Soda Air Freshener. Baking soda is a natural odor absorber, so it's perfect for air fresheners. Mix a cup of baking soda with a few drops of essential oils and place it in a small jar or container. You can even add dried flowers or herbs for a little extra pizzazz. Place the jar in any room of your house to help neutralize unpleasant smells.
- Orange Peel Air Freshener. Don't toss out those orange peels! Instead, use them to make a natural air freshener. Cut the peels into small pieces and place them in a pot of water. Add a few cinnamon sticks or cloves and simmer on low heat for a few hours. Your home will be filled with a fresh and citrus aroma.
- Gel Air Freshener I got this ideal from ouroilyhouse.com. For this one, you'll need unflavored gelatin, water, one teaspoon of salt, and essential oils. Dissolve the salt in hot water and then mix in the gelatin until it dissolves, then add a few drops of essential oils. Pour the mixture into a container and let it set in the fridge for a few hours. Once it's firm, you can place it anywhere in your home for a long-lasting scent.
These DIY air freshener recipes are easy to make and use natural ingredients to keep your home smelling fresh and fragrant. Give them a go and see which ones work best for you!
Read this next:
Having a fresh and fragrant home is essential for creating a cozy and inviting living space.
The good news is, there are plenty of DIY natural air fresheners that can help you achieve this without spending a fortune or exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.
From beeswax candles to essential oils and citrus pomanders, there are loads of options to choose from, depending on your preferences and needs.
If you're looking for a quick and easy solution, try making a baking soda air freshener or a simple spray with water and essential oils.
Remember to always use high-quality ingredients and follow the instructions carefully when making your own air fresheners.
It's also important to note that natural scents tend to dissipate faster than synthetic ones, so you might need to refresh your air fresheners more often.
Overall, creating a fresh and fragrant home is a fun and rewarding project that can help improve your mood, reduce stress, and enhance your overall well-being. Give these DIY natural air fresheners a try and enjoy the benefits of a clean and healthy living space!